Usually peoples arguments against age of consent reform are one of the following:
a) Consensual sex emotionally scars children
b) Children do not have any desire for sex and think it's gross
c) Children do not have the mental capacity to consent to sex.
d) Children are easy to manipulate and manufacture consent.
I am going to respond to each of those points in order. Lets start out with part A:
Only one study has ever been conducted on the emotional/psychological impact of so called "Child sexual abuse." The results of the Rind et al study showed that the only correlation between childhood sexual experiences and emotional trauma was likely due to the fact that children who have had a sexual experience were usually from broken homes and any trauma was from their situation at home, not from the sexual experience. The results of the study were condmened by a unanimous resolution in congress, the only time congress has ever condemned a scientific finding. Perhaps even more absurd than congress condemning a scientific finding just as the Catholic church condemned Galileo, is the fact that everyone honestly believes sex with kids harms them despite the fact that everyone can remember the first adult they had a crush on as a child; do you honestly believe you would have trauma today if you had gotten to have sex with whoever your first crush was?
Now on to part B. You just remembered who your first crush was; you know full well you would have wanted to have sex with them if you knew what sex was at the time. How can you honestly say that no child would want to have sex when you yourself would have when you were a child? You aren't just some rare case either. The average age when kids have their first crush is 5 or 6, depending on which psychologist you ask. Even if you throw all of those points out, it is absurd to believe that no child ever would want to have sex, considering the billions of children in the world right now. Should pedosexuals be persecuted for having sex with just those kids?
For part C I will be responding to those who say children do not have the mental capacity to consent to sex. There are certain stages of cognative development. The operant stage, which is the last one, is the stage all adults are in. The age that one switches over to the operant stage is about 11. An 11yo has the same cognition ability as an adult; although without the wisdom that comes from life experiences. The concept of consent is based entirely on cognition, not wisdom. It is purely a matter of being able to decide "is this something I want to go along with?" If it was based on wisdom rather than cognition, then honestly 90% of adults would not be able to consent.
Lastly part D, people say it's easy for an adult to manipulate, or "groom" a child into agreeing to sexual activity that they do not truely want. I won't dispute that, because it's true. Probably about 90% of childhood sexual relationships that are actually abusive rather than consensual fall into this category with the remaining 10% being forcible rape. I wont defend pedosexuals who manipulate kids into having sex. But I also will not stand by silently as pedosexuals who are only guilty of having a mutually consensual and mutually enjoyable relationship with a child get lumped in with the abusers who groom and cooerce their victims.
With that said, I don't think the age of consent should just be reduced to a young age. Instead, I think an exception should be added in cases where the child does not want his or her partner to be punished. In these cases it is a victimless crime and I don't think anyone here wants people to be prosecuted for victimless crimes.