You are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

[–] Gamio 0 points 0 points (+0|-0) ago 

Its impressively toxic and quite a lot of evidence suggests that its carcinogenic. It by itself will probably never be used in a practical sense outside of a handful of super niche no risk to anyone or the environment.

Your average piece of silicon is laced with a whole bunch of nasty shit but its solid and crystalline so it largely stays intact unless you really go to town on it. Graphene being only useful in super thin wafers would turn into a dust if you looked at it meanly.

[–] dhif 0 points 0 points (+0|-0) ago  (edited ago)

You do realize that the active components of most chips these days are only a few atomic layers thick, right?

Super-thin is ideal for chip design. You layer it on top of a silicon crystal wafer.

[–] Gamio 0 points 1 points (+1|-0) ago 

No, not a few. A few hundred yes but its not a few atoms thick. Some of the layers in these transistor gates are about a half a nano meter thin (thats like 3-4 silicon atoms), 22 nm from Intel is roughly 170 ish to 178 atoms tall (actually depends on the operator, calibration, and time of day) but the only thing that is super thin and measured in atoms is the dielectric not the active components, the other laters several times the size of the dielectric. Its beneficial to be that thin so that the energy required to flip the state of the transistor is lower.

I spent a while at Intels Lexslip plant (6 week work experience thing for college), the place is like a fucking mini city factory. Its only the dielectric layer that is just a couple atoms thick. The rest of its like 10 times the size of the dielectric. IDK about any of the other fabricators.

[–] Commie_Meta 0 points 0 points (+0|-0) ago 

Its toxicity is only a problem with bulk use of powders. In electronics it will probably be used in layers one atom thick. The dose makes the poison, and a single-atom layer us a miniscule dose.

A quick literature check also shows that toxicity is much greater with raw graphene nanoparticles. Every edge atom is reactive, possibly even a free radical. C1000························· is not something you want to inhale or inject. One review paper I read said that putting something harmless on the dangling bonds made the particles much less toxic. Which is to be expected. If it were like asbestos, people who work at graphite mills would get lung cancer at a high rate.