About the Philippines
The Republic of the Philippines is a sovereign state in archipelagic Southeast Asia, with 7,107 islands spanning more than 300,000 square kilometers of territory. It is divided into three island groups: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. The Philippines was named after Prince Philip (later King Philip II) of Spain, by the Spanish explorer Ruy Lopez de Villalobos during his 1542-1546 expedition to the islands.
The Philippines is a unitary presidential constitutional republic, with the President of the Philippines acting as both the head of state and the head of government. It proclaimed its independence from the Spanish Empire on June 12, 1898, following the culmination of the Philippine Revolution.
This subverse is intended for the discussion about anything that is related to the Philippines. Your submission or comment may be removed if it doesn't follow the guidelines.
- Only post content that is related to the Philippines - the country.
- Check "New" before posting a link to avoid duplicates.
- Posts must contribute positively to /v/Philippines and foster reasonable discussion.
- Don't be rude or hostile.
- Don't resort to insults based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs.
- Don't post your personal information.
- Don't use link shorteners.
- Self-promotion is prohibited.
- Downvote content that is hateful, spam, or off-topic.