CURRENT VERSION: 1.4.3
Welcome to Scribble for Voat, the best looking subverse theme around. This theme was designed to give Voat a better look and feel. We all know that the basic design leaves a lot to be desired, but we're attempting to make it feel a lot more like home. Finally, a place you can feel comfortable.
Feel free to dig in below and give your subverse a makeover. Having problems? Try posting a new thread in this subverse if you can't find your answer in this thread.
Inside a Thread
Table of Contents
- Current Version Number & Introduction
- How to Customize
- Grab the CSS (Github)
- Release Notes
- Things Remaining
- Fixes In the Next Release
Implementing Scribble requires being a managing moderator of the intended subverse.
Modifying Scribble may require some image editing software (such as GIMP, Photoshop, or even MS Paint), and a minimal level of CSS knowledge. While you can change the URLs for your logo and header background quite easily, other changes may require a bit more work, especially if you wish to change the colors or positioning.
Viewing Scribble as a user will require a CSS3 compliant browser, as this theme uses semi-advanced CSS3 rules and selectors. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Internet Explorer 9+
- Pretty much any smartphone browser
This subverse theme is not compatible with Internet Explorer 8 or below, and should not be viewed on subverses where a large number of users would be using these browsers. While just 2.19% of users are currently on IE8, I wanted to make sure that moderators were aware of the pitfalls of using this theme.
3. How to Customize
Scribble is easy to customize. Addons are provided below (section 6) that change the theme depending on the purpose of the addon. For instance, there is an addon to change the subverse logo from text into an image. There are also addons to hide parts of your page that you may not care for users seeing, like the chat module in the sidebar. All of these addons can be added to your site by placing the provided code directly BELOW the base CSS for the theme. If you wish to hide the announcements block in the sidebar, for example, you would add that block of CSS to the very end of the CSS field in your subverse settings.
There are a number of other things that can be easily changed about Scribble, as well, including images and colors. Don't like the blue theme to it? Change it by modifying anything you see a hex value (a hashtag followed by 6 characters and/or digits), or an RGB value (three separate numbers, each ranging from 0-255). These are some of the simplest changes to make, but can be a quick and easy way to give your subverse a more unique feel.
If you're having issues customizing your subverse, or if something isn't quite working on your subverse, let us know by posting a new thread here. We will be able to take a look at your CSS, and tell you exactly what's wrong, and how to fix it. If you aren't familiar with CSS, we can even provide you the final CSS to place in the appropriate settings field.
The recommended size for the banner is: 2000x350 pixels. You can use as low as 1366x350, but it will scale up no matter what size you use.
To begin customizing Scribble to your liking, go here:
4. Grab the CSS:
Master Branch: https://github.com/ScribbleForVoat/Scribble/tree/master/
Base CSS: https://github.com/ScribbleForVoat/Scribble/blob/master/base.css
5. Release Notes:
- Fixed tablet/small desktop header so that the user account links don't tuck under the submission buttons
- Adjusted height of the "more" button in the top right of the page on mobile. It should now be the full height of the bar behind it.
- Fixed header alignment. Deadzones on the "My Subverses" bar should be gone, including on the "more" button.
- Discussion threads with no flair should no longer show the dash to the left of the title. Flairs will still show correctly.
- Changed color of "My Subverses" drop down arrow to be white
- Changed color of "More" button in the top right to a darker blue color when you hover over it
- Reduced size of sidebar subverse name to allow for longer names before it breaks that RSS button's position
- When focusing on a button, the text no longer disappears. The text will be black, and the border will be a dark gray.
- Added alert below "ADMINISTRATION TOOLS" section when Scribble is out of date. Only moderators of that subverse will be able to see the message, and normal users will NOT be affected. This is a minimally invasive way to let mods know that they should update their CSS in order to fix bugs. This won't be done often, and I'm very sensitive to forcing a notification on users of the theme, so let me know if this is taking things a step too far. I want to make sure people aren't running bad code, but also don't want to put things that they don't expect to see. Click here to take a look at what it looks like.
- "Next" button at the bottom of a subverse homepage had black text, when it should have been white. Added "!important" to button CSS to fix this.
- Added spacing between "Save, Preview, Cancel" buttons for comments. This prevents misclicking "Cancel" when you meant to hit "Preview". Credit to /u/ItzDaWorm for suggesting this.
- Reduced text size of sidebar subverse name.
- Fixed bug where "my subverses" dropdown would slide under the body of the page. Thanks to /u/Clayton and /u/jk611 for finding this bug.
- Fixed bug where the "my subverses" dropdown would disappear if you weren't quick enough with moving your mouse from the link to the dropdown window itself
- Made "my subverses" dropdown wider on mobile, and made each link larger, so it's easier to click an exact link
- Added copyright notice and declaration of MIT open source license on top of CSS base. Yes, Scribble is now COMPLETELY open source. Feel free to take it and do whatever you want to do. It's all yours, now.
- Made default background a solid color, instead of an image. This will allow new subverses to more easily adapt the theme to their needs.
- Added header background image as an addon
- Fixed color of selected subverse in the very top navigation bar if you were subscribed to that subverse and were currently visiting it.
- Fixed popup overlay that was blocking the flair dialog on attempting to add a flair to a post.
- Fixed padding on mobile buttons that made the page scroll horizontally on 320px wide screens (older iPhones)
- Buttons in top header for submitting links/discussions are now styled correctly when attempting to submit content.
- Fixed Voat goat logo plcaement on Firefox
- Fixed logged-out account block (i.e. "want to join?...") styling. You should now be able to see the login and register links.
- Fixed text title's color. This will now stay white constantly, regardless of what the browser wants it to do.
Special thanks to /u/Scarcer for noticing a lot of these issues.
- Made default logo back into text
- Added new "addon" that allows you to replace text with image. This will allow more subverses to start out using this theme without having to dig in to the CSS too much.
- Made CSS easier to read and understand. Add comments.
- Moved changing the name of subscribers to its own addon
- Fixed missing "subscribers" and "users here now" text when you didn't have the addon to replace them
- Adjusted styling on buttons in the header. Now the sorting options have a different look than the submission buttons.
- Recolored the sidebar buttons to match with aesthetics
- Moved "/v/" location in sidebar from :before the H1 tag to :before the actual anchor tag. Clicking it now works, as intended.
- Fixed hover color of header logo text
- Added emphasis on OPs within threads
- Changed header banner
- Changed subverse logo
- Changed button colors
- Fixed logo positioning
- Added logo and header banner to mobile view
- Made user controls (profile, logout link, etc) backgorund a semi-transparent white
- Made sidebar take up more vertical screen space on mobile
These are CSS rules that can be added to the bottom of your CSS to provide some additional functionality.
7. Things Remaining
This is a list of bugs and features that I want to see fixed/added before I call this theme "complete." Feel free to help out, and post on here if you have a fix for one of these.
- Mobile UI
- Updates to Customization Tool
8. Fixes In the Next Release
- Updates to Customization Tool
- Fix sidebar scrollbar being partially hidden
- Image expandos will be able to cover the sidebar, now
- Comment and self post body widths will be limited to 800 pixels wide, to promote legibility. Thanks to /u/AmyAcker for the suggestion
- Mobile header updates
- Make "My Subverse" drop down scrollable, so it doesn't go past the bottom of the page