There's a new post on the GBG site that focuses on advice. The topics covered are as followes (this is a very brief outline):
I. Asking for advice, and things to keep in mind
- Be precise, accurate, and include only vital information
- Be willing to listen to what people say
- Be willing to make actual changes
II. How to identify whether or not the advice you receive is good or bad
- Is the person giving advice only trying to justify bad behaviors?
- Good advice never goes out of fashion.
- Ask yourself if the advice improves your life, or makes it worse.
- Honesty is paramount.
III. An exercise in editing: I took an article that was hit-and-miss, then transformed it into a home run.
- Don’t jump into a relationship just because you can. Date good men, be a good woman, and avoid casual hook-ups.
- You do NOT have to like (or drink) beer, ever. I promise.
- If you want another cupcake, have another cupcake. No one has to know about it. Moderation is important, indulge sometimes – not every day.
- You can’t trust everyone. That’s not a reason to be jaded.
- And many, many, many more.