I'm glad you asked! Well, you didn't, but I'll ask on your behalf.
If it isn't painfully obvious, I'm an academic and have a strong affinity for encouraging learning, teaching, growth, and personal expansion of knowledge. Knowledge is accumulation of data and wisdom is knowing when to apply it. (I should save that quote, it's pretty damned good!)
- Are you thinking about going to university? Ask questions.
- Are you homeschooling your children? Ask questions.
- Are you helping your children with homework? Ask questions.
- Are you interested in primary, secondary, or higher education? Ask questions.
- Are you interested in academia and have some resources you'd like to share? Post submissions.
- Are you just happy to contribute to educating others? Post submissions.
- Are you looking for resources to help you attend school? Ask questions.
- Are you finding resources that you think may help other people further their education? Post submissions.
- Are you currently in school and wish to know what you'll be doing afterwards? Post questions.
- Are you wondering what academic life is about? Post questions.
- Are you concerned with the difficulty of higher education? Post questions.
- Are you opinionated about the quality of education? Post comments. (Be civil and on topic. No drama!)
- Are you just an aggressive person who's unwilling to discuss the topic with civility? Go to v/whatever.
- Are you against higher education on moral or ethical grounds? Go to v/whatever.
- Are you guilty of sharing beliefs about academia with Pol Pot? Well, you should probably go to v/whatever - but we can discuss that.
This sub is not for the drama. It's not for the bullshit. It's for serious discussion about academia - from the very first day you're born until the day you die.
Why this sub and not just plugging away at v/academia? I see v/academia as being a place for just higher learning. I don't like that limitation and would like to be able to provide resources that span all age groups and learning abilities. I'd like to encourage others to submit such things and I'd like to enable a group of people to work on continuing their education.
Every single day is another chance to learn, to grow, and to mature. If you don't, then that's on you. You have the power to change that and only you have the power to change that. A day without learning is like a day without air. A day without growth is a day wasted. Think of your brain as a muscle and education is exercising it. This is very important for those of us who are reaching an advanced age.
So, it's a resource to learn things - and it won't just create itself. I'll build the foundation but it's up to you to figure out how to decorate it and make it valuable. Post what you want to see (concerning this subject) and we'll see where it goes from there. Voat needs an active community concerning education. That's what this is for.
Principia Academia, the foundations of education. That's what the title means. If we build a good foundation, we can build anything atop it. If we build a good foundation, the sky is the limit.
So, that's what this sub is for.