TL;DR: This sub is very populous and active. Many voat users want to subscribe to know what's going over at that other site, but rightfully don't their front page dominated by posts they consider irrelevant. Please help me in raising the post quality here a little bit.
Long winded Genghis_Khan text:
If it's not already obvious, I am pretty lenient with how I moderate this sub. Fact is, I see this place as serving a dual purpose. Openly, this is a place to post and have discussions on the latest news and current events (and controversy) happening at that other site. The slightly more subtle secondary purpose is that it is a place for frustrated users to let out some steam instead of yammering incessantly about reddit in other subs. However, since many people here are often in the same state of mind, it isn't surprising when some - and I'm just being honest here - substandard content gets upvoated and made very visible.
So what am I considering substandard content?
- A reaction gif
- An image macro (not to be confused with a meme)
- A text post along the lines of "I left reddit because of [reason]"
- A post announcing the user was shadowbanned
- A post about the ex-CEO that is fucking irrelevant (seriously, this is not an Ellen Pao hate sub)
- A screen shot of a post that has already been linked to or archived and is on the front page
- A direct link to a post that already has a screen shot or an archive link on the front page
- An archive link to...I think you get it. Please read the sub before posting.
Do you see where I am going here?
The fact is, if things keep trending the way they are now, I'll have to become more active as a moderator. Eventually, I'll be overwhelmed and need to add more moderators, who will in turn act accordingly. In the end, what we will likely see is a reversal from the relaxed nature the sub currently has to one where if your post doesn't meet certain criteria, it will have to be removed. I would much rather the user base simply be a little more choosy about what they submit and what they upvoat.
Remember, this is not reddit. Many of the types of posts that are acceptable there are simply not up to par here (unless the sub is specifically for those types of posts). For being one of the top subverses, this one has been lagging a little behind in this regard. Since I know for a fact that the low effort "shitposting" is a primary reason many people here left the other place I think it's time we stepped it up a little bit.