For when your mouse and keyboard become unresponsive, take a deep breath.
Try each technique in order as they apply to your circumstances. The further
you go into this document, the more desperate you must be, and the more
risk you'll incur. You keep regular backups, right?
Fault in keyboard and mouse
- For wireless devices, replace batteries.
- For wireless devices, replace with USB wired devices.
- For USB wired devices, unplug and replug them.
- For PS/2 devices, do not unplug: just plug in a USB device.
All the techniques following below this sentence risk data loss in open
Ctrl+Alt+Delete should open Task Manager. Begin killing offending
If you can't open Task Manager for some reason, try from a TTY.
Ctrl+Alt+F1 should open TTY1. There are at least 5 more TTYs on the
Fn keys, with the last being
Ctrl+Alt+F6. Login to
the command line session and kill stuff from there. Return to the desktop
Magic SysRq key
These techniques require use of the magic sysrq key. Permanently
enable magic sysrq after reboot (for Ubuntu):
$ sudo ed -s '/etc/sysctl.d/10-magic-sysrq.conf'
/^kernel.sysrq = /s/[0-9][0-9]*$/240/
RightAlt+SysRq+F OOM-kill the single most expensive process.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace kill the X server, but not on Ubuntu.
RightAlt+SysRq+K kills the topmost session, here the desktop session, but not on Ubuntu.
While holding down
RightAlt+SysRq, slowly type
one letter at a time, pausing briefly between each letter.
Reboot :R: Switch to XLATE mode
Even :E: Send terminate signal to all processes except init
If :I: Send kill signal to all processes except init
System :S: Sync all mounted file-systems
Utterly :U: Remount file-systems as read-only
Broken :B: Reboot
REISUB spells BUSIER backwards.
When everything else has failed
All the following techniques below this sentence risk filesystem corruption.
Make all appropriate prayers and sacrifices before trying these.
- If your computer has a Reset button, press and release it. Pray.
- If your computer has a Power button, press and hold it for four to eight seconds or until the machine powers down. Pray.
- Unplug the power cord. Pray.
- Remove the battery. Pray.