I completed my Poly80 build a couple weeks ago but had a couple issues that were outside of my control. I contacted both companies for replacement parts and then left town (well, left the country) for about 12 days. I got home less than one week ago, installed the replacement parts and waited patiently for this weekend. Despite being 30 degrees today, I shot several magazines, issue free. SUCCESS!!
So here's what I learned and the issues I ran into:
- With zero knowledge, anybody can complete a Poly80 pistol build in an hour or two with no major tools.
- Spending a little extra for genuine Glock parts is the best way to go and not really all that more expensive.
- Take your time drilling and filing but the jig makes the drilling almost idiot proof if you follow the directions.
- The filing only has to be accurate in the guide rod/spring channel.
- Unless you want to buy additional tools, pay a little extra to have the sights and firing pin liner installed. MUCH cheaper.
- Don't assume every part you're working with is good and you must be doing something wrong if there's a problem.
Everything was filed and drilled carefully and I'd say it took me less than an hour to get everything done. Of course, the fine sanding and making everything pretty takes a little longer but it doesn't have to be all that pretty to be functional. After I assembled the slide I found it wouldn't go on. It was nearly impossible. After lots of additional sanding and filing on the rails I got it on but it was almost impossible to rack back and it wouldn't go forward... or easy to removed. After scratching my head I realized that the front rails/locking block was not to spec and was forcing the slide at an upward angle. I contacted Poly80 and they were aware of the issue and offered to send me out a new one immediately (for free, no proof of purchase or evidence of the issue required). It arrived a couple days later. After I got it replaced I put the slide back on and it felt like a new Glock should feel. It racked back and forth perfectly. So I was now good to go.. or so I thought.
I loaded up a magazine just so I could rack through a full mag and make sure everything worked right. It wouldn't grab a bullet and locked the slide open. The bullet was hanging up at the extractor. I went to a buddy's house and borrowed his Glock 17 and swapped slides. His worked perfectly on my gun so I took my slide completely apart and inspected everything. Everything looked good and even after swapping parts with my buddy's slide, it wouldn't work. :(
I contacted the seller of the slide and upper kit and explained the issues and he sent me out a new slide and upper kit. That one worked. After swapping each and every part out, I have come to the conclusion there was something off with the non-OEM slide. I can't calculate how many hours of troubleshooting it took to come to that conclusion but it was a lot. I'm hoping he'll let me know if he definitively concludes what the issue was now that he has them back in his possession.
I'm quite happy with the final results (pictures to come soon). It not only fired, but it was shot where I pointed it, which is all you can hope for in a pistol. Total price (minus tools) was about $600 (not including magazines). I did have to purchase a firing pin liner tool (about $10 bucks), a front sight tool (about $10 bucks), a rear sight tool (about $50), a set of punches ($40), and a firing pin liner removal tool (about $5). But like I said, if you don't have all of those tools, you can pay an extra $20 to have both sights and the liner installed for you so you don't need those tools.
A buddy pre-ordered the Glock 43 kit which should be in soon. It was supposed to be in a couple weeks ago but the first batch were all refused by the Glock Store because of issues when they went to build a couple. A second batch is due in April some time.
Feel free to troll or ask any questions you have.