You are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

0
5

[–] yerwanontheinside [S] 0 points 5 points (+5|-0) ago 

THREE

---
User: b_user_1

At no point in my boards career can I remember it being quieter than it has been in the last few weeks. I log on in the morning,
and maybe half of my followed forums have new posts. In those forums, there's posts on maybe a couple of threads. It takes
about 3 minutes to catch up and then I just leave the site again.
It's like a sick relative and you've been in denial about how serious it is. It's not getting better, is it.

---

User: b_user_2

> Originally Posted by b_user_1
> At no point in my boards career can I remember it being quieter than it has 
> been in the last few weeks. I log on in the morning, and maybe half of my 
> followed forums have new posts. In those forums, there's posts on maybe a 
> couple of threads. It takes about 3 minutes to catch up and then I just leave 
> the site again.
> It's like a sick relative and you've been in denial about how serious it is. It's not getting better, is it.

I feel the exact same. I can usually easily lose an hour to boards if I'm killing time.
There's a thread about an explosion in New York. That would normally be full at this stage. It's barely on page two.

--
User: b_user_3

Come on over to farm and forestry, it gets quiet around 1am and kicks off again at 6am.

---

User: b_user_4

I think the same.
I just had a quick look at AH for the month of August and it's on par with 2015 @ approx. 45k posts. Go back to 2014... 72k posts.
2013 approx 68k posts.
For the whole site:
June - Aug 2013 - 1,303,726
June - Aug 2014 - 1,250,421
June - Aug 2015 - 1,039,244
June - Aug 2016 - 878,414
That's a serious decline.

---

User: b_user_5

> Originally Posted by 
>
> I think the same.
> I just had a quick look at AH for the month of August and it's on par with 2015 @ approx. 45k posts. Go back to 2014... 72k posts.
> 2013 approx 68k posts.
> For the whole site:
> June - Aug 2013 - 1,303,726
> June - Aug 2014 - 1,250,421
> June - Aug 2015 - 1,039,244
> June - Aug 2016 - 878,414
> That's a serious decline.


I was intermittently getting Cloudflare errors saying I was banned during the week (Cloudflare- not Boards errors)- I'm guessing
our regular users have been having similar crap.

---

User: b_user_6

> Originally Posted by b_user_1
> At no point in my boards career can I remember it being quieter than it has been in the last few weeks. I log on in the
> morning, and maybe half of my followed forums have new posts. In those forums, there's posts on maybe a couple of
> threads. It takes about 3 minutes to catch up and then I just leave the site again.
> 
> It's like a sick relative and you've been in denial about how serious it is. It's not getting better, is it.

It's more like the old pub that used to be really popular but no-one new goes in there anymore cause of the cranky regulars and all
the rules but the owners/cranky regulars think it's the best place ever and everyone else is wrong.

---

User: b_user_5

> Originally Posted by b_user_6
> It's more like the old pub that used to be really popular but no-one new goes in there anymore cause of the cranky
> regulars and all the rules but the owners/cranky regulars think it's the best place ever and everyone else is wrong.


That sort of tends to happen over a protracted period of time.
Our current lull- is sort of sudden?

---

User: b_user_7

> Originally Posted by b_user_6
> It's more like the old pub that used to be really popular but no-one new goes in there anymore cause of the cranky
> regulars and all the rules but the owners/cranky regulars think it's the best place ever and everyone else is wrong.

Reminds me of the Simpsons

:::::YOUTUBE VIDEO:::::

---

User: b_user_8

It does seem a good bit quieter. The Cloud flare issues don't help. But I know in Motors a lot of traffic is falling away because of
persistence tribal bollocks being caused by a particularly cliquey and bull headed group, and a general piss poor attitude to
anyone that asks a question the regulars deem below them.

---

User: b_user_9

The cloudflare stuff has been pretty frustrating throughout the last week or two, getting a bit sick myself of hitting a broken site
intermittently kicking me off. Can only imagine how less patient punters might feel.

---

User: b_user_10

There was a comprehensive feedback thread a few months ago (Ghost town) that seems to have been widely ignored. New users
are still faced with the new site so not surprising posts are down.

---

User: b_user_6

New users are coming in and are being hit with rule after rule after rule, then you have older posters who think they own the place
so stifle lots of conversations. In my opinion, having a discussion forum which bans topics for discussion because they have been
discussed too often is going to kill the place, it'd be like a pub banning conversation about weather and politics because all the
regulars have already discussed it and the topics normally just lead to arguments.

---

User: b_user_11


> Originally Posted by b_user_25
> There's a thread about an explosion in New York. That would normally be full at this stage. It's barely on page two.

I agree with the general sentiment, but in this case, good

---

User: b_user_12

> Originally Posted by b_user_1
> It's like a sick relative and you've been in denial about how serious it is. It's not getting better, is it.

It's really not.
I'm the same as you, b_user_1- there was a point where I'd log on and lose a couple of hours here!
Now it takes me about 5-10 minutes to read the Christmas forum, check in on a couple of followed forums and maybe have a
quick look to see what's happening in After Hours.

> Originally Posted by b_user_6
> New users are coming in and are being hit with rule after rule after rule, then you have older posters who think they own
> the place so stifle lots of conversations. In my opinion, having a discussion forum which bans topics for discussion
> because they have been discussed too often is going to kill the place, it'd be like a pub banning conversation about
> weather and politics because all the regulars have already discussed it and the topics normally just lead to arguments.


New users immediately see the hideous new site. I'm sorry, but it is.
All the topics are hidden so they can't see what's here.
They are hit with Cloudflare issues.
They can't have a custom avatar.
They post in the wrong thread or forum and are instantly made to feel moronic or their thread is locked because somebody
discussed this already in 2014.
They read through a thread and all they see are mods posting in bold, yellow cards, closed accounts and banned users.
If I was a new user now, I really wouldn't see a lot here that would appeal to me.

---

User: b_user_13

It's not that it's hideous (well, it is) but it's unusable. Some of the links I've clicked on in the past week have led me to the new site
which resulted in an error. All Google search results have led to an error. Again, the new site.
Despite Dav's own admitment that the new site is ****, no answer has been given as to why it's still being pushed out so
aggressively.

---

User: b_user_10

From my own perspective I find it difficult to get anything done. Everything has to be done by way of the admins which isn't
working for me. It recently took weeks and follow up after follow up to get an individual demodded. Given the amount of forums I
need to go through I don't have the time to spend checking and rechecking if my requests are being actioned (especially
considering how cumbersome the touch site is to do modding).
Other than that I have pretty much stopped carding people and have taken a softly softly approach to modding which seems to be
working a little.
No point in going through all the issues again as it has been done to death but I see volunteers here doing their best day after day
but I am seeing nothing at all from the office and haven't done for a long time now. The odd post appears saying they are listening
but 6 months later the new site is still present despite virtually zero positivity.
Depressing really.

---

User: b_user_14

Cloudflare issues are a pita and must be affecting post levels. I also think there has been a huge increase in trolling /re reg which
is affecting post counts. Bob likes to frequent A&P leaving us with at least 50 deleted posts a week. That's before responses and
general modding comes in.

---

User b_user_15

---

Yeah, there are multiple issues that need addressing.
A few of the Admins had a meeting in the Boards.ie HQ recently and we expressed a lot of the sentiments above.
So we are trying to fix things.

---