Okay, it's less of a 'constitution' and more of a 'legislative act' or whatever, but that aside, here is the way in which we intend to govern the sub. Please have a read through (if you care), ask questions if you're unsure of anything, point out issues if you see them, suggest better/clearer/more-precise wording, let us know if anything has been left out, tell us your feelings about cream cheese, or whatever.
Edit: To be clear, this is an internal document that only the moderators need to care about. It is being shared for transparency because you the community asked for us to be transparent.
TL;DR The sub is here so people can ask and answer questions. The mods will make decisions collectively (no one person in charge).
- AskVoat is a community where people come to ask questions, provide answers, and discuss the relative merits of these answers.
- AskVoat is to be owned by system. There will be no (other) Level 1 moderators.
Until such time as the Voat Administrators are willing to transfer AskVoat to system, a single Level 1 moderator will perform the function of system.
- This moderator will have no vote in the Governing Council, and will conform to the responsibilities of the Owner as outlined here.
In the event that the Owner desires to step down before AskVoat is transferred to system, the Governing Council will elect a replacement owner by simple majority.
- The new Owner can come from within or outside of the Governing Council.
- If they come from within the Governing Council, they will lose their Governing Council position upon assuming the mantel of Owner (the roles are exclusive).
Decisions concerning AskVoat will be made by a Governing Council, comprised of all and only the Level 2 moderators of AskVoat.
- Level 2 moderators added without the approval of the Governing Council, are not themselves members of the Governing Council.
Each member of the Governing Council will have a single equal vote on each motion.
- Each member will vote to support the motion, reject the motion, or abstain.
- Members who abstain will be removed from the pool for purpose of determining whether the motion has achieved the necessary majority.
Motions requiring a simple majority that end in a tie, will be put to a community referendum.
- The poll will remain open for at least 24 hours, and will have a finite timeframe.
Rights and Duties of the Owner
The Owner will exercise actions for AskVoat at the request of the Governing Council.
- The Owner will not perform any administrative action in AskVoat without the agreement of the Governing Council, except where that action is explicitly provisioned within the Constitution.
- The Owner will not perform any administrative action explicitly forbidden by the Constitution.
- The Governing Council will not ask the Owner to perform actions that they can successfully perform without the intervention of the Owner.
- The Owner will not set Anonymized Mode to active.
- The Owner will not promote any user to moderator Level 1.
- Prior to transferring AskVoat to system, the Owner has the right to remove posts and comments that breach the rules, without need to consult members of the Governing Council.
- In the event of utter fucking chaos, as determined by the Voat Administrators, the Voat Administrators reserve the right to seize AskVoat and do whatever the hell they want. (It’s not like we could stop them anyway.)
Rights and Duties of the Governing Council
- Members of the Governing Council have the right to remove posts and comments that breach the rules, without need to consult other members of the Governing Council.
- A member of the Governing Council may tender their resignation at any time.
Any motion not explicitly covered in the Constitution will be decided by simple majority.
- The Constitution may be amended only with unanimous agreement of the Governing Council.
- A member of the Governing Council may be stood down only with the unanimous agreement of all other members of the Governing Council.
- A new member of the Governing Council may be elected only with a two-thirds majority (≥).
- The Rules and Suggestions may be amended only with a two-thirds majority (≥).
The Governing Council, by simple majority, may declare to allow the Owner to make a decision.
- The Owner must turn down this offer unless there is a state of emergency.
In the event of an emergency, where a reasonable attempt has been made to reach the Governing Council, and has failed to gather a quorum, the Owner may institute any and all actions not explicitly forbidden in the constitution.
- These actions will remain in effect until a quorum can be gathered, and the Governing Council has voted on what action is desirable.
- For the purpose of this vote, the Governing Council will comprise all Level 2 moderators, including any stood down as part of the emergency procedures, excluding any added without the approval of the Governing Council.