You are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

1
2

[–] middle_path 1 points 2 points (+3|-1) ago 

Oh, I was hoping it exploded or something.

0
5

[–] FuckYourSafespace 0 points 5 points (+5|-0) ago 

Your body metabolizes ethylene glycol (the antifreeze part of antifreeze) in the liver, producing something else that gets metabolized again into something else. The third thing crystallizes in your liver. If i remember correctly, a method of preventing this is it's solubility in alcohol. I wouldn't try it though.

0
4

[–] Hydrocephalus 0 points 4 points (+4|-0) ago 

I'm to lazy to go over my biochem notes to see if I'm right but I'm pretty sure your body metabolizes antifreeze in oaxalic acid which precipitates into crystals, which then fuck up areas with a lot of blood flow like your kidney and liver. Also it makes your blood too acidic in addition to the crystal damage.

0
0

[–] Skyrock 0 points 0 points (+0|-0) ago 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diethylene_glycol_wine_scandal

In 1985 Austrian wineries diluted wine with glycol to make it taste sweeter. No one has died of it as far as I know, but it is definitively not healthey even if dissolved in alcohol.

0
3

[–] CrudOMatic 0 points 3 points (+3|-0) ago  (edited ago)

Ethyl alcohol (aka drinking alcohol as we call it), gets metabolized into acetaldehyde by the liver (that's what gives you the hang over). The acetaldehyde is further metabolized into vinegar & water.

Ethylene Glycol, aka Glycol alcohol, gets metabolized into Formaldehyde by the liver, which is then further metabolized into Formic acid (aka Methanoic acid). Formic acid then proceeds to do what strong acids do and eat out your insides - starting with the retina of your eyes, no less. This is what happens when you consume the foreshot from a still... OR ANTIFREEZE.

This is also why people who poison puppers with antifreeze deserve a special place in hell.

0
0

[–] ProgNaziGator 0 points 0 points (+0|-0) ago 

I'd settle for sterilization